Great points to read anD consider. I saw an excellent article in maybe USA Today many years ago along the exact same lines. I wish I could find that article because ,like this post m it was a great roadmap of information to keep handy in case asked the pertinent questions.
I think there are probably 100 reasons to interview your agent, but these 10 are crucial.
1) Your home is generally the biggest investment you will ever make: why would you play at it when it is this important.
2) Not everyone is as experienced as anyone else. You're paying someone for their expertise so get it.
3) Marketing matters and not all agents market. Ask to see examples of this before it's too late.
4) Availability is important and you need to know that the agent you work with is full time and committed.
5) The agent you hire should be well respected and active. I am amazed by the people who work with relatives because they want to help them make a living. The focus in real estate shouldn't be the agent but you, the client.
6) Ask for statistics about the community in which you live or are interested in purchasing. If the agent has no information, you are talking to the wrong person.
7) Ask for and call references. Any agent worth their salt will be glad to provide them. If you are given a song and dance, go to the theater, but avoid this person.
8) Ask about follow up. You want to know that your agent will be in touch regularly to keep you informed about what is happening in the market. You can't adjust your strategy without current information.
9) How will your agent negotiate on your behalf? Most folks don't truly understand the process and you are entitled to have the protocol explained to you before crunch time.
10) Comfort level is important so make sure you not only feel good about the agents' knowledge and experience but as importantly about how you relate to one another.
Working with an agent is an intimate thing. Your agent will know things about you that even your friends don't. Choose wisely, and take the time so that a a few weeks later you aren't scratching your head and asking yourself, how did this happen to me.
When you think about real estate, it is time to focus. I have helped people for close to thirty years in all areas, and made the process not only simple but enjoyable. Why should you go it alone or settle for less? Call me and find a partner to help, direct and get you where you want to be.
The Real Estate Whisperer...... Consultant, Trainer, Facilitator