Here are some excellent safety tips for Thanksgiving. I like the baking soda for fire tip. A spare fire extinguisher may be a good safety tip also. Don't forget to drive safely if you're heading out for the Holidays, too.
Thanksgiving Safety Tips ~ Be alert for Fire
Hazards Before you gather your loved ones around the table and bow your heads in thanks for our love ones, the beautiful meal prepared by loving hands to nourish your bodies, to celebrate the bountiful harvest in remembrance of all the generations who have gone before us beginning with the Native Americans and Pilgrims and above all Gods grace remember more than 4,000 fires happen each Thanksgiving Day. Recognize the risks, have a plan in place and reduce the risk of fire this Thanksgiving Day.
Safe Cooking Tips:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires
- Wear short sleeved, close fitting clothes when cooking. Loose clothing can catch fire.
- Keep dish towels, pot holders, mitts, cookbooks and food packaging away from burners and hot surfaces
- Turn pot handles inward to prevent spilled food burns, especially with little ones and pets around.
- Establish a three feet, no kids or pets zone when cooking
- Keep burners and oven clean
- Stay Alert!
If you have a kitchen fire:
- When in doubt, just get out. Close the doors behind you and call 9-1-1 from outside or a neighbors house
To put out a kitchen fire:
- Use a pan lid to smother the fire
- Use Baking Soda also to smother the fire
- Turn off the heat
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen
- Keep the oven door closed to contain a broiler or oven fire
- NEVER USE WATER or FLOUR on cooking fires
- NEVER CARRY a burning pot or pan outside or to the sink
- Working Smoke alarms are key to your families safety.
Turkey Fryers, the type requiring large quantities of oil, are extremely dangerous for home use according to National Fire Protection Agency.
Turkey Prep Tips from the USDA, thawing, cooking and a reminder - DO NOT THAW a Pre-Stuffed Turkey
Want more? Ok, how about a comprehensive resource of Thanksgiving Safety Tips from Compliance & Safety
* These tips are for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for your own judgement and you should promptly dial 9-1-1 if you have any concern about your families health and safety.
I hope these Thanksgiving cooking safety tips help you and your family enjoy a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Safety Tips ~ Be alert for Fire Hazards
The Real Estate Philling Station where you can Phill-up on real estate information before you head out on the road and run out of gas knowledge. Knowledge is power, fuel yourself by contacting Diane M. Phillips today for all your Maryland Real Estate needs. The Real Estate Philling Station, full service full time!
Want to get to know me better? GOOGLE ME!