Agents earn their keep from contract to close. The sales part is the easy part.
Once an offer is accepted most sellers breath a sign of relief. After sometimes months of marketing, their wait is over! Or is it?? When my sellers sign that buy/sell agreement I let them hug, cry, scream, etc... then we have "the talk". Let's look at what can go wrong between signing that contract and closing.
1) The Home Inspection--Sooo mr seller, did you know air conditions are supposed to blow COLD air?? That's probably going to need fixing. A listing of mine that went under contract last week needs a new roof due to a recent hail storm. Let this list get too long, and expect the buyers to bail. Even if you offer to fix everything.
2) Loan Preapproval-I LOVE 1-800 numbers! Who doesn't like saving money on long distance calls?? But get nervous if your folks are preapproved with some out of state lender. While not always the case, typically this is trouble.
3) Loss of Income-The economy is still hurting in most parts of the country. Think the bank is going to lend a jobless person 250k?
4) Title Issues--So Aunt Bertha gave you the house two days before dying? I have seen title issues delay closings to a point that buyers simply move on.
5) Appraisals--Kudos for getting top dollar from the buyer. But the bank will send "their guy" out to give an assessment of the true value. Think those buyers with the 100% financing have the cash to pay the difference? Do You? Don't worry, most agents will gladly forgo their commission to make it work. Look over there, A unicorn!!
6) Bonehead Buyer Choices During Escrow--I had my personal home in escrow about four years back. Two weeks before closing the buyer bought an Acura! Guess what happened to her debt ratios???
Under contract is something to celebrate. Go ahead and let out a cheer. But let me get back to work. You see agents earn our money these days guiding homes through the escrow minefield.