Be safe this holiday weekend!
Virginia Beach Home Inspector talks BBQ safety
As a home inspector in Virginia Beach one of the more important issues that I always like to address is safety in the home. This weekend is the Super Bowl of the backyard grilling season. Every year there are thousands injured due to carelessness around the BBQ grill.
Most injuries are going to be preventable with a little common sense and knowledge. Make sure that you are prepared to have a safe and happy July Fourth weekend.
Extreme caution needs to be used when using propane due to the highly flammable nature of the gas
- Make sure there is no damage to the tank or connections before grilling
- Make sure all connections have been checked prior to cooking
- Do not ignite a propane grill with the lid closed. An accumulation of propane in the grill can cause an explosion
- When finished cooking turn the gas off at the source, before turning off the controls in order to clear the lines of gas
A by product of grilling with charcoal is carbon monoxide (CO), so always make sure you are grilling in a highly ventilated area (not indoors). You will not know if CO is presenting a danger until it is too late
- Only used approved BBQ starter fluid to start the grill (not gasoline, yes it has been done)
- Make sure you do not get any of the starter fluid on yourself or clothing
- Let the fluid be absorbed by the coals for a minute or so before lighting so you do not ignite a concentration of vapors
- Place ashes in a tightly sealed metal container with some water and do not dispose of until completely cooled
- My suggestion is to use a charcoal chimney starter to get the coals started. (faster, and no starter fluid after taste)General Safety
- Make sure the grill is in a location that is not in an area where children will be playing
- Remember that even after your done cooking that the grill will remain hot for quite some time
- Have a hose or fire extinguisher close by in case of emergency
- Do not cook over a grill with loose fitting clothing
- Put the lighter away after lighting the grill. It is too big of a temptation for children to experiment with when you are not looking
So please enjoy Independence Day, and remember to keep everyone safe!