I had not thought of the Irish Music or Irish Snacks!
St. Patrick’s Day - March 17, 2010 - Open House Tips
May your blessings out-number the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go – an Irish blessing
St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time for a whole bunch of tomfoolery! It’s also the perfect time for an open house to sell those listings. Let’s get started hosting a St. Patrick’s Day Open House…
I agree, that we typically advise our clients not to leave your personality all over the house you’re selling—and we mean it. That’s not to say that you can’t have a little bit of fun with a themed open house, though. Here are a few tips to get you started on the right path for getting those listings SOLD:
1. Keep your St. Patrick’s Day decorations to a minimum, but the atmosphere fun. In other words, pick decorations that are bland, but still lighten the mood of the home.
2. Lights for the evening, windows for the day. If your open house happens during the day, let as much natural lighting in as possible. If it’s in the evening, use lighting that isn’t too harsh or overbearing.
3. Offer tasty, “smell good” snacks. You don’t have to make a meal to feed an army, but a few Irish snack dishes can go a long way. You can also use a backyard barbecue to show off the home’s entertainment possibilities.
4. Keep the alcohol low, if available at all. You’re not throwing a rip-roaring party, but there are a couple of things to consider with alcohol. One is that it’s St. Patrick’s Day and almost a national drinking day. Two, is that the more relaxed a potential buyer feels, the more positive they’ll feel about the house (this is not to say that you should get the visitors drunk, however—and definitely don’t let them sign any contracts while under the influence)! And finally, keep in mind any liabilities you'll encounter serving alcohol on the premesis.
5. Don't forget to have the good 'ole Irish music playing too!
The main purpose of holding an open house is to get potential buyers to come and see what your listing has to offer. Show off the inside as well as the outside and the home’s ability to entertain guests.
If you’re a seller and have a real estate agent, discuss a St. Patrick’s Day open house with them. If you don’t have an agent, give me a call at (704)491-3310 or email me at Debe@DebeMaxwell.com.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!